Seven specialist instrumental teachers
In addition to class music lessons there is a range of musical events throughout the year including the weekly Community Choir which is open to pupils, staff and parents. From Year 2 all children are encouraged to learn an instrument and all instrumentalists can join the school orchestra with parts adapted to suit the playing standard of the pupil. We currently have 7 specialist instrumental teachers and lessons are on offer for the following instruments during school hours: violin, viola, cello, guitar, harp, flute, clarinet, saxophone, recorder, trumpet, cornet, French horn, tuba, piano, and singing.
Other opportunities include:
- Our annual ‘Redcliffe’s Got Talent’ and range of in-house instrumental concerts are hugely popular with both children and parents.
- Our ‘Music Week’ features workshops such as African drumming sessions, visits from professional musicians and an ‘Eisteddfod’ (a festival of literature, music and drama).
- Pupils frequently attend external musical events and workshops including Opera Holland Park, Cadogan Hall, The Wigmore Hall, and Young Voices at The O2.
- Pupils are encouraged to take external instrumental ABRSM and Trinity Guildhall examinations. Aural practice sessions are given by the Head of Music.
- The choirs visit local care homes and support charitable events.
- The orchestra joins with other schools for joint workshops and concerts.
Every Friday a pupil is encouraged to perform a solo at the beginning of our Awards Assembly.